Are you planning on sprucing up the exterior of your commercial and industrial spaces with a fresh coat of paint? Well, the good news is that there are plenty of options out there. However, choosing the right finish can be a bit overwhelming, especially if you’re not sure what to consider.
Don’t worry, though, we’ve got your back! We’re here to help you navigate the different factors that come into play when selecting the perfect exterior paint finish for your project. Whether you want a glossy or matte finish, we’ll guide you through the process and make sure you end up with a look you love, and a finish that can withstand the weather conditions in your area.
What to Prepare Before Your Exterior Painting Project
Surface preparation: Proper surface preparation is critical for achieving a long-lasting paint job. May require different preparation techniques, such as power washing, sanding, or patching.
Paint selection: Choosing the right paint is important for achieving a durable and long-lasting finish.
Safety considerations: Exterior painting for commercial and industrial properties often involves working at heights or in hazardous environments.
Scheduling: Painting a commercial or industrial property may require working around the schedule of the business or facility.
Environmental regulations: Some paints and coatings used in commercial and industrial painting may be subject to environmental regulations.
Maintenance: Commercial and industrial buildings often require more frequent maintenance than residential properties, when in doubt hire a professional.
Most Common Types of Exterior Paint Finishes
Flat/matte finish: This type of finish has a smooth, non-reflective appearance and is ideal for hiding surface imperfections. However, it is not as durable as other finishes and may require more frequent touch-ups.
Best to use on:
• Areas with low foot traffic or minimal wear and tear.
• Surfaces with imperfections or texture, as the finish can help to hide them.
• Residential areas where a low-sheen finish is preferred for aesthetic reasons.
• Historic buildings, such as museums or government buildings.
• Modern office buildings with a minimalist aesthetic.
• Warehouses or industrial buildings where a subdued appearance is desired.
Satin finish: Satin finish paint has a soft, velvety appearance and provides a low sheen that is easier to clean than a flat finish. It is a good choice for surfaces that require frequent cleaning, such as doors, windows, and trim.
Best to use on:
• High-traffic areas where durability and easy maintenance are important.
• Exterior doors, window frames, shutters, and other trim details where a slightly glossy finish can enhance the architectural features.
• Smooth surfaces, such as stucco, concrete, and metal, as the finish can help to minimize surface imperfections and create a uniform appearance.
• Areas that are exposed to sunlight, as the satin finish provides better UV protection than a flat finish.
• Exterior surfaces that need to be washed or cleaned frequently, as the finish is more resistant to dirt, stains, and moisture than a flat finish.
Eggshell finish: Eggshell finish has a slight sheen and a smooth, velvety texture. It is durable and easy to clean, making it a popular choice for exterior walls and trim.
Best to use on:
• Residential or commercial buildings with textured surfaces, such as stucco or brick
• Multi-unit residential buildings, such as apartment complexes, where a more subtle finish is desired
• Low-rise office buildings or corporate campuses with a traditional or classic appearance
Semi-gloss finish: Semi-gloss finish provides a high sheen and is highly durable and easy to clean. It is a good choice for surfaces that are exposed to moisture or require frequent cleaning, such as doors, trim, and shutters.
Best to use on:
• High-traffic commercial or industrial buildings, such as schools, hospitals, or government buildings.
• Retail spaces or restaurants with high visibility areas, such as storefronts or entryways.
• Metal or glass surfaces, such as railings or exterior signage.
• Exterior surfaces that are exposed to harsh weather conditions, such as rain, wind, and extreme temperatures, as the finish provides excellent protection against the elements.
• Surfaces that require frequent cleaning or are exposed to heavy traffic or contact, such as handrails or exterior signs, as the finish is highly resistant to dirt, stains, and scuffs.
Gloss finish: Gloss finish provides the highest level of sheen and is highly durable, making it a good choice for surfaces that are exposed to harsh weather conditions. However, it may highlight surface imperfections and is not as forgiving as other finishes.
Best to use on:
• Metal buildings, such as airplane hangars or manufacturing facilities.
• Swimming pools, waterparks, or beachfront properties that require extra protection against moisture.
• High-end retail stores or luxury resorts with a glamorous and polished appearance
• Trim and accent details, such as shutters or doors, where a glossy, polished appearance is desired.
• Surfaces that require a high level of cleanability, such as hospitals, schools, or food service buildings.
Our Expert’s Opinion
Ultimately, the best exterior paint finish for your project will depend on your specific needs and preferences. It’s important to consider factors such as durability, ease of maintenance, and the overall look and feel you want to achieve when choosing a finish. Consulting with a professional for hire painter or paint supplier can also help you make an informed decision based on the unique characteristics of your project.
Hire a Professional Exterior Painters Near You
When it comes to commercial and industrial exterior painting, choosing the right paint color is just as important as it is the structure. That’s why you need to work with a trusted painting company near you that has the experience and knowledge to help you make the best choices for your project. North Pro Barn Painting, an established painting company, understands the importance of finding the perfect balance between style, personal taste, and function for commercial and industrial spaces. Don’t settle for less when it comes to your commercial or industrial painting needs. Trust the professionals at North Pro Barn Painting to get the job done right. Contact 647-370-1906 to schedule an estimate for your next project.