There’s something about freshly painted wood that just screams evergreen. Whether it’s used on fencers, warm desk chairs, or on a barn, BEHR’s Barn and Fence Paint just brings the beauty to wherever you use it, specially when using to paint barns like professionals.
The paint uses a powerful formula that ensures weather elements won’t cause it to experience any form of fading, cracking, and peeling for many years to come. Not only that, its mildew resistance capacity ensures it will help your wood stay sound and healthy for a long time. It is the perfect barn paint since it is livestock-safe and will not harm animals when used around them.
However, it’s important to note that just like many wood formulated exterior paints, BEHR’s Barn and Fence Paint uses a latex and oil mixture, which is why you need to check the manufacturer’s recommendations when painting new and old barn surfaces.
More About BEHR Barn & Fence Paint
The BEHR Barn and Fence Paint is an innovative exterior paint, which combines the best of oil and latex features for the best colour retention, penetration, adhesion, and durability. It is best for use on smooth or roughly sawn vertical wood surfaces like plywood, fences, shakes, shingles, siding, and laminates. It can cover 18.5 – 46.5 m2 per 3.79 litre.
Explore a colour library that contains collections of popular and trending colours from BEHR Barn and Fence Paint. ColorSmart by BEHR will let you find colours by coordinating them and taking a preview in your own virtual room image.
Summary of Usage
It is important to prepare the surface before getting started. Use stain removing products to remove mold and mildew stains.
For previously painted, stained or sealed wood
- Start by sanding all the glossy surfaces
- If the surface is already in good condition, apply directly to the clean, dry surface.
- If the latex or oil-based finish has started cracking, peeling, or flaking, BEHR Premium No. 64 wood stain and finish stripper is a product that does well in removing the coating on wood. Rinse thoroughly.
- Then follow up with a product like the BEHR Premium No.63 wood cleaner. Scrub, rinse, and let it completely dry.
For new, weathered, or uncoated wood
- Place cloth duct tape randomly on the bare wood. Press the tape tightly then remove it quickly.
- If the tape collects wood fibers or debris, this means the wood surface is not sound and more preparation is required as follows: use a product like the BEHR Premium No. 64 Wood Stain and Finish Stripper to clean surfaces. Then rinse.
- Follow up with a product like BEHR Premium No. 63 All-In-One Wood Cleaner at full strength to get rid of mill glaze and/or waste wood fibers, and other debris. Rinse it and leave it to dry.
- It is best used when air and surface temperature is about 10-32˚C.
- Avoid applying in direct sunlight or if rain is expected within 24 hours.
- Wood surfaces have to totally dry before applying paint.
- If you are working with one container of one colour type, intermix with other colours to ensure uniformity.
- Water-soluble extractives which may cause discoloration of white and pastel colours are available for Redwood, Cedar, Cypress, and other “bleeding” woods. For the above type woods, prime with one coat of a product like BEHR No. 436 multi-surface primers and sealer to reduce these stains.
- Use a nylon/polyester brush to apply on smooth surfaces. On rough-strawn or textured wood use a 3/4” long nap roller or high-quality airless sprayer to apply. Use a .015” tip for airless spraying. To reduce lapping and help control colour uniformity, keep a wet edge.
- When using all the application methods, always back-brush or back-roll.
- You may need to do two coats for complete hiding. After the first has completely dried, then apply the second coat.
- In cooler temperatures and higher humidity, you need longer dry time.
- Contact household refuse collection service to dispose of empty containers and unused products.
The BEHR Process Corporation guarantees satisfaction with this paint’s performance when applied to a well-prepared surface and cared for according to the directions on the label. This guarantee will be effective for all the time you’ll be in your home and is made to the purchaser of the original residential consumer paint. This guarantee cannot be transferable.
However, the things that are guaranteed include:
- Labor and labor costs for applying or removing any product
2. Any consequential or incidental damages, whether as a result of a breach of express or implied warranty, strict liability, negligence, or any other legal theory. The aforementioned provisions are not to operate where the law prohibits them.